SR 167 Southbound HOT Lane Extension
Atkinson's scope of work included widening SR 167 to add a lane in the southbound direction and extending the existing High Occupancy Toll (HOT) lane system from its existing end point at 37th Street NW in Auburn to 8th Street E in Pacific and the King/Pierce County line. Extending the southbound HOT lane reduced congestion and improve mobility, traffic flow, and safety on SR 167.
Other improvements included:
- Repaving southbound SR 167 between 37th Street NW and 8th Street E
- New southbound HOT lane bridge over SR 18
- Ramp meters at the SR 167 on-ramps at 15th Street, Ellingson Road, and 8th Street E
- Intersection improvements at the Ellingson Road and 8th Street E off-ramps
- Two new noise walls and extensive drainage improvements
- New Jovita Creek fish passage culvert under all lanes of SR 167
- Upgrade to existing Intelligent Transportation Systems, lighting, cameras, cabinets, and communications systems
- Toll systems infrastructure
- Comprehensive maintenance of traffic program to reduce ramp, lane, and roadway closures
The new HOT lane maintains fast, toll-free trips for HOV users (transit, vanpools, carpools, and motorcycles).